Oh. My. Word. This has been one whirlwind of a week. And I’m not even a Cardinal sequestered in the Vatican! For 7 Quick Takes, I’ve chose 7 adjectives that describe what happened to me since last Friday.
1. Unexpected! On Tuesday, my twitter friend, @Tjadedwriter said, “Congratulations!” And I said, “Wha???” She had been watching the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award announcements and saw that I had moved to the next level — the quarterfinals! My book, Falling For Your Madness, has been entered into this huge contest. This is kind of like American Idol for novelists and by moving to the quarter-finals, it’s like I’m in the top 20 and I have to start worrying about being pitchy and how to comprehend Randy Jackson’s comments.
2. Exhilarated! It wasn’t until Wednesday that the full understanding of this hit me. It was Wednesday, see, that the judges for the ABNA contest, left their comments about the FFYM excerpt that they read. They said this: Overall, this is one of the strongest excerpts I’ve read. Even though it remains to be seen if the rest of the novel maintains the freshness, wit and quirkiness of the excerpt, this is definitely a winner, and I’d love to read the whole thing. And then the other judge said this: One wonders if this is time travel paranormal romance or one dream a man decides to take control of himself and make happen. Either way it is brilliantly written with a cast of witty characters. Would have loved to kept reading… ABNA is not my first contest. My first contest’s comments, back in 2011, were so discouraging that I was left in tears. So not only did I float over the praise of FFYM, but I also felt vindicated. I have this and these words mean so much to me. I don’t have to win to feel like a winner.
3. Perplexing! So, now that I’m an ABNA Quarterfinalist, I’m kind of at a loss as to what to do. I asked my readers (and anybody who stumbles upon this blog) to go to my ABNA entry, read the excerpt, and leave a comment. This doesn’t effect the final outcome, I don’t think, but it does help with my exposure. And who doesn’t like reading nice reviews? NOT ME! I have eight reviews so far and I could always use another. If I win, folks, I get a $50,000 contract! If I am a runner up, I get a $15,000 contract! I find out what’s next on April 16.
4. Celebrating! You would think that this was enough good news in one family for the week, but apparently, it wasn’t! Also on Wednesday my husband also had a huge, huge opportunity professionally and it could mean a major breakthrough for his career — one that has been long needed. If this works out (and I can’t be any more vague than that) our lives will change forever. I’m up for it and so are the kids.
5. Worthless! All of this news has given us the fan-tods!! What are fan-tods, you ask? It’s our new favorite word to describe hysteria, uncontrolled emotions, and excitement. We found this little gem in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn that I am reading aloud to the children. Of course we had to stop right in the middle of reading on Tuesday and look it up. Apparently there are variations of the fan-tods: you can have flaming fan-tods or swiveling fan-tods and believe me, with the good news that’s come our way this week, we have both!
6. I’ve been working for the last two weeks on a very special short story that I can’t wait to share with my readers! Just how did David Bowles get his rules, anyway? Stay tuned!
7. AND IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!