Today on my Facebook feed, someone link to this Huffington Post article by Joyce McFadden: 3 Things Your Little Girl Needs From You Right Now. In this article, she mentions subtle persuasive influences such as television shows and pop songs that may be sending the wrong messages to girls. I like this. I totally agree with this. But I think we can add to the list, don’t you? I came up with ten more. Now how we communicate these truths to our daughters will vary from family to family. But I think, that if we raised a generation of women who were aware of how much power they had, who believed in who they were, who found their significance in themselves as opposed to the men who pursued them, then they will be ladies. And the men in their lives, who will wish to please them, will become gentlemen as a result.
1. You don’t need a man in your life to be significant.
2. Your value comes from who you are, not what you wear or how you do your hair.
3. You has been given specific talents, intelligences and characteristics that can contribute to the world.
4. A home is a beautiful thing and the best way to build it is with two adults, not one.
5. Beauty comes from inner character.
6. When you are encouraged to drink excessively, it is never in your best interest.
7. There are worse things than being alone on a Friday night.
8. If you agree to go out with a guy because you feel sorry for him, because you don’t want to hurt his feelings or because you don’t want to be alone, you’re setting yourself up for trouble.
9. No young man ever died because he was turned down for a date.
10. You are precious and you are valuable. Your time, mind and body are valuable. Only give them to the very most deserving.
This is what I came up with. Does anyone else have some to add?
Don’t forget, the giveaway for Falling For Your Madness ends on Wednesday